Southport BID has today (Tuesday 4th June) announced that the investment it brings to Southport and the work that it does in the town will continue for another 5 years. This news comes as a result of local businesses voting ‘yes’ for the continuation of Southport BID (Business Improvement District) for 2019-2024.
Businesses have been voting over the last month, having responded to the results already achieved by the BID and its plans for the future. These include the promotion of Southport, attracting external investment, developing and supporting initiatives to enhance the town, creating events, and championing the issues important to the town’s businesses.
58% of businesses voted in favour of renewing the BID. All businesses in Southport within the BID area and with a rateable value of over £7,000 were entitled to vote in a process managed by the Electoral Reform Service. The ‘yes’ vote means that the levy paid by businesses will see over £2 million invested directly into the town over the next 5 years.
Hugh Evans, CEO of Southport BID, says, “We are delighted that businesses have recognised the difference that having a BID is making in Southport and want our contribution to continue. This will ensure an important economic boost for Southport, which we want to thank the business community for making possible. In developing our plans we consulted with local businesses and will continue to do so as we begin to put these into place and look forward to working them and leading partners in the region in the coming months to do our very best for Southport.”
Robert Uffendell, chair of Southport BID, says, “Southport BID is voice for the business community with a focus upon improving the town for the benefit of those living and working in Southport or visiting the town. The yes vote is wonderful news and we thank all those who are helping and supporting us to move forward with our vision for a stronger, more successful Southport.”