The BID works hard to develop effective working relationships and partnerships with an interest in boosting the economic prosperity of our town. We regularly work with Sefton Council, Merseyside Police, local businesses, local media and community organisations to deliver positive change in Southport.
The BID has worked in partnership to apply for several sources of external public funding. In 2016 we applied for the Coastal Communities Fund and we have match-funded an application to the Lottery Heritage Funding scheme. If successful, this grant will bring in over £3 million to be spent on the restoration of heritage features and sites within the town centre. The BID will lead this process through consultation with levy payers and stakeholders.
Following a successful application by the BID, in partnership with Boots, Wilko and Marks & Spencer, Southport was accepted onto the Healthy High Street scheme.
Run by the Business in the Community branch of the Prince’s Trust, the scheme aims to bring high street multiples into productive partnerships for the good of the high streets they trade in. By working together, businesses and town centre management can share resources, knowledge, ideas and work together to really change the towns they operate in for the good of all.
Together they tackle issues such as
- accessing landlords to tackle empty units
- creating high profile events to tackle footfall
- create pop up events and markets
- help each other to improve customer service
- provide expert help and resources
Other towns involved in the scheme have seen a 5% drop in empty units and have out performed other high streets by 0.8% in footfall.
Evidence from around the UK shows that investors and funding bodies are attracted to areas where BIDs operate.
We’ve capitalised on this by commissioning an investment prospectus designed to attract new investment and development in the town centre.
Working with property agents and commercial property specialists GVA, the prospectus has been complied to sell the benefits of investing and doing business in Southport.
The prospectus, due to be published in early 2017, will be sent to property agents and other key decision makers responsible for making investment decisions on behalf of their clients. We’ll also be targeting the high quality brands that complement our existing retail and leisure offer.
We’re also talking up Southport at every opportunity and continuing to develop proactive relationships with property owners and developers to make sure that they are all fully aware of what’s going on in our town.
As a BID we collectively represent the views of over 900 businesses across the BID area. We make sure that this very powerful collective voice is used to influence what goes on in our town at all levels of Government.
As a BID we work hard to ensure your objections, concerns and issues are raised and the relevant stakeholders held to account when necessary.
So far we have successfully –
- Objected to HMO applications
- Pursued and progressing a ban on selling on the pavement along Lord Street
- Raised objections to loading bay space in London Street
- Analysed data since the change in parking charges and loss of the half hour parking and will present a case, with ancedotal evidence of its impact, to the council
- Worked closely with Police to increase patrols following increased vandalism
- Dealt with over 100 calls in 2016 alone regarding fly tipping, vandalism, un-emptied council bins and more
- Lobbied the Council, landlords and shop keepers for better verandah maintenance and repairs
We are putting together a set of support packages designed to help smaller businesses access support and cost savings difficult to obtain through our group buying abilities.
We are currently sourcing partner companies to offer:
- HR support
- IT & comms savings and support
- Cheaper waste collection
- Energy and utility savings
- Reduced medical care cover
Please keep checking as we announce more details. If there is a service or saving you would love to see included we would appreciate the feedback – we are working for your needs so will do our very best to source support that receives high numbers of requests.